Andrew Van Essen is a Podiatric Surgeon based in South Australia, and he has visited Japan over thirty times, Vietnam more often than most and has travelled extensively around the world spreading the podiatry message.
Travelling abroad didn't happen by accident; doors to the world opened through volunteering.
On this episode we discuss:
- His early career and graduation with two previous Podiatry Legends guests, Simon Bartold and Ted Jedynak.
- His path into surgery
- In business you are going to make good and bad decisions - "Goodwill is not something you buy, it's something that is handed over to you by the previous owner".
- Some brilliant advice from his Lawyer
- Teaching biomechanics and sports medicine in Japan
- Judo Therapy
- His surgical trips treating clubfoot in Vietnam
- Volunteering may not be financially rewarding, but it is very satisfying
- Finding a balance between your business, career, and what you love to do.
Follow your passion; don’t get locked into any particular area of podiatry. Always look at the bigger, broader picture, not just the here and now. Take a long-term global view with your career.
If you have any questions about this podcast, please email me at Prospect Podiatry.or you can connect with Andrew Van Essen at
One-On-One Coaching & Mentoring
If your podiatry business needs help to develop marketing strategies or business systems, the most efficient way to do this is with one-on-one coaching and mentoring. Please email me at and let's see where I can you.
Newsletter & Events
Podiatry Legends Facebook Page
I have set up a Podiatry Legends Facebook page, where I post additional business and marketing tips, information regarding podiatry events and conferences around the world.
Tell Your Podiatry Friends
If you enjoy the Podiatry Legends Podcast, please tell all your podiatry friends, and please feel free to leave a REVIEW on iTunes, or wherever you like to listen to podcasts.
If you enjoyed this episode you might also enjoy:
It's No Secret with Dr T. Podcast
If you like marketing and small business, please take a look at my other podcast; It's No Secret with Dr T., and you may also enjoy Ep 188 - Developing Your Avatar & Unique Selling Proposition with Alex Frees