Dave James is UK based, and he is known as The Foot & Leg Magician. Dave was first introduced to the podiatry because he had a hole in his foot, and no he didn't pull a rabbit out of it, but it was responsible for him making a pivotal career shift from nursing to podiatry.
He started his podiatry career quite late and graduated when he was 34-years of age.
On this episode we discuss:
- Working in the NHS and having a part-time business on the side.
- Why he eventually left the NHS and the safety net of a secure weekly wage to pursue a dream of having a full-time business.
- Completing his Masters Degree in 2012
- How he became the Foot & Leg Magician.
- The games you play in your head when you're making career decisions.
- Why his mindset around money slowed his initial business success.
- How good mentors helped him through this transition period and helped him understand how to set his consultations fees correctly.
Some podiatrists will say you cannot charge the same fees to patients in lower economic areas. This is not true; it's just a mindset. These same patients will be taking overseas trips and driving new cars, and if they can do that, they can also pay accordingly.
"The only geography that's a problem in business is the geography between your ears."
Coaching, Mentoring & Public Speaking
A challenge was given to Dave to shoot two, two-minute videos, for 14-days, which meant he would eventually shoot 28 videos in two weeks.
Dave openly admits his first video was not very good, but it was authentic, which is more important. Also, when you start creating content, it has a flow-on effect.
"Content breeds content, it's like putting two rabbits together".
Initially, his information videos were for his patients, but the more he started doing, the more questions he was getting from other podiatrists and so coaching and mentoring took its path.
At present Dave has:
- One-to-one coaching
- Facebook Group - Stepping Up and Dave James - The Foot and Leg Magician
- 12-week Group Program - Involves weekly zoom webinars to help you understand why you're in business and how to increase your visibility on social media.
If you have any questions about this podcast, please email me at
Podiatry Legends Facebook Page
Podiatry Legends Podcast now has a Facebook page, If you want to keep up to date and informed, please LIKE the Podiatry Legends Facebook Page.
If you enjoyed this podcast, it would put a massive smile on my face if you left a review on iTunes or your favourite podcast platform.
Remember iTunes podcasts are FREE.
Most Recent Review from Australia
GREAT WORK ☆☆☆☆☆ “Love your work Tyson, bought your book a few years ago and since have given a couple of copies to a few podiatry friends. I really find it inspiring to keep connected with pod and business talks. Much appreciated.” JS Pod via Apple Podcasts · Australia · 01/30/19
If you like this podcast and you're looking for more business and marketing tips you may also enjoy It's No Secret with Dr T.
Today's Book Recommendation
This Is Marketing - You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See, by Seth Godin