There is far more to branding than colours, design, headlines and logos, and Dr Fern Kazlow (aka Dr K), New York City Psychotherapist, speaker, author, and business and branding consultant helps explain the Top 10 Branding Mistakes business owners make.
In part 1 (Episode 140), we covered the first two branding mistakes:
1. Letting Others Define You
2. Not Backing Up Your Brand
Top 10 Branding Mistakes is a three-part branding series, but you do not need to listen to each episode in order, however when you have the time, please go back and listen to part one.
On today's episode (Part 2) we cover branding mistakes 3 - 6:
Every day is a day you should be working on your brand.
3. Not Having An Aligned Brand Strategy
- Connection, communication and relationships
- Clear messaging (Brand message)
- What is your VISION? Vision is the big picture.
- What is your MISSION?
- What are the benefits (not features)
- Understanding the benefit of the benefit.
- Positioning your brand - What makes it different?
- Creating your position
- What's your proof?
- You need to talk to your ideal clients
- Brand Personality
- Brand Story - What makes you, you. What is your story?
- Who do you want to attract and who do you want to repel?
- Speaking a language that is accessible to your audience
- Be authentic
4. Not Power Connecting
- Power Connecting is about relationships
- You want to become a beacon
- People need to know who they can become with your brand
- Dig deeper and understand what's important to them
- Your target market: Where do you connect with them, and where do they connect with you? You don't want your marketing to be more noise.
- It's not just what keeps them awake at night; it goes much deeper. What impact is this having on their life?
- Having an underlying reason for your brand
5. Not Infusing Your Brand Every Place
- It's about building trust and respect
- Customer experience
- What you post on social media
- It's about alignment
- When you bring in something new to your business be aware of your existing relationships
- Infuse your brand especially if you're making a shift or pivot
6. Failure To Lead Your Brand
You may have set your brand up correctly, but if you take your eyes off the ball it can quickly be dropped, and this happens when you don't stay on top of your business (and brand).
- Unconscious impression
- Brand leadership - How you treat your team is how your team will treat your customers
- Pay attention or business will plateau
- Your competition will take over the market
- It's not about perfection; it's about being authentic and developing a brand you can live every day
- Social media has got to be congruent because like it or not we are all very visible
Ask yourself this question with every activity you do, 'Does it strengthen your brand or weaken your brand?'
First 16 Pages of My Book – It’s No Secret There’s Money in Small Business.